Complete the sentences about mobile phones. Write the correct form of the verb in brackets: passive or active, as well as the correct tense. When there is also an adverb in brackets, put this in the correct place in the sentence.
• The first real mobile phone________________ 1 (test) by the Swedish police
• About six calls__________2 (make) before the battery ran out.
• But modern mobile telephony_____________________3 (begin) on April 3rd,
1973, when a call_________________________4 (make) while walking the streets of
• In October 1981, the first cell phone network with automatic roaming between countries _________________________5 (set up) in the Nordic countries.
• Since then, an incredible number of cell phones_____________________________6 (sell)
and the system________________________7 (be) much more successful than people
• Today, in most of Europe, wealthy parts of Asia and Australasia, mobile phones
_____________________________9 (own) by the majority of the adult, teenage, and even
• Relatively cheap and quick to install, mobile phone networks _____________________________10 (also introduce) throughout the developing world.
• In the future, more features_________________ 11 (included) in mobile
phones from other handheld devices.
• This_____________________________12 (already happen) to some extent, with MP3
players, digital cameras, etc.
• New technologies and applications for mobile phones______________________13(constantly develop).
• However, some people_____________________________14(say) that the mobile phone of
the future________________________________15 (implant) in our own bodies.
• In fact, research___________________________16 (carry out) on a device that _____________17 (insert) into a tooth and the sound__________________________18 (transmit) through the bones and into the ear.