Task 1. Do the test
1. Use the verb given in brackets in the right tense form.
Blowing Hot And Cold With The Same Breath
(Согревать и охлаждать одним дыханием)
There was once a wild (дикий) man who (to live) on a hill (холм) which (to be) far in the forest. He was a simple man and seldom (to speak) to other people.
One day he (to notice) (заметить) a man who (to walk) along a path (тропа) in the forest below the hill. He (to run) down to him and (to say), “ I want to talk to you. You (to come) to my house and (to have) a talk with me?” The man agreed (согласиться). They (to climb) (взбираться) the hill together. As it (to be) a cold day, the stranger (to breathe) (дышать) on his hands. “What you (to do)?” (to ask) the wild man. “I (to blow) on my hands.”
“Why you (to do) it?”
“My hands (to be) cold. It (to make) them warm.”
“I understand,” (to say) the wild man.
When they (to come) to the house on the hill, the wild man (to give) the stranger a cup of boiling (кипящий) milk. As the milk (to be) very hot, the stranger (to begin) (to blow) on it.
“What you (to do) now?” (to ask) the wild man.
“I (to blow) on my milk.”
“Why you (to do) it?”
“The milk (to be) hot. I (to blow) because it (to make) the milk cold.”
“What!” (to shout) (кричать) the wild man. “But before you (to blow) on your hands to make them hot. (To get out) of my house! I (not to want) men like you in my home. You (not to be) an honest (честный) man if you (to blow) hot and cold with the same breath (дыхание).”
2. Choose the right word to fill in the gap.
1. Didn’t you see the show . . . . . Sunday?
A. at C. in
B. on D. for
2. . . . . . . are only seven stations on this metro-line.
A. These C. There
B. It D. This
3. Take your umbrella, it is . . . . . .
A. windy C. foggy
B. frosty D. raining
4. There aren’t . . . . . fruits at this time of the year.
A. some C. no
B. any D. none.
5. A typist (машинистка) is someone who . . . . . letters and reports.
A. types C. is typing
B. type D. are typing
6. The conference will finish . . . . . four o’clock.
A. to C. in
B. on D. at
7. It . . . . . to rain soon.
A. going C. is going
B. is being D. Will
8. . . . . . . something strange in this situation.
A. There is C. This is
B. It is D. That is
9. . . . . . . of the hotels in the city has a swimming pool?
A. What C.Which
B. Who D. Whose
10. What was . . . . . moment in your life?
A. happy C. happier
B. the happy D. the happiest
11. There are four lakes in this region, . . . . . ?
A. is it C. are there
B. aren’t there D. aren’t they
12. I’ve got two TV-sets. One is in the living-room, and . . . . . is in the kitchen.
A. another C. others
B. other D. the other
13. You make mistakes as you don’t work . . . . . .
A. little C. few
B. a little D. much
14. Let him eat . . . . . .
A. little C. small
B. few D. a little