• The greatest English scientist, who devoted himself to at¬mospheric physics, using mainly radio techniques. • In 1924 proved the existence of the layer in the upper atmosphere now called the ionosphere. • Invented the method called “frequen¬cy-modulated radar”, which led to a great development of radio research. • In 1926 discovered a further atmos¬pheric layer 150 miles above ground, which reflects short waves round the earth. • In 1941 was knighted for the develop¬ment of radiolocation.
1. what / for / the / famous / is / scientist / English ?
2. what / his / scientific / to / first / was / discovery / devoted ?
3. what / did / scientist/ two / layer / the / discover / in / years ?
4. why / Edward Appleton / given / honourable / of / was / an / title / a / knight ?
5. in / branch / was / the / science / what / of / Appleton / awarded / Nobel / prize ?