Comment on the meaning ofcould.
1. Could you call me tonight?
2. We could hear nothing but the wind and the noise of the roaring sea.
3. She couldn’t have misunderstood you.
4. He couldn’t understand the story, as he didn’t know many of the new words.
5. I think you can try to make him change his behaviour.
6. Could you switch on the light, please? It has become dark in the room.
7. He could read and write at the age of five.
8. Could this story be true?
9. Could you start cooking supper now, please?
10. Could I speak to Jane, if she is there?
11. He opened his eyes, but to his horror be could see nothing.
12. Could I have a look at your newspaper?