Using the words in brackets, make new ones to fit the gaps (word building).
1. (happy) When Santa Claus opened his sack the children’s faces lit with… .
2. (appoint) They couldn’t finish at once so they made an …
3. (harm) Smoking and drinking alcohol is very … for your health.
4. (reason) Parents usually trust their children if they see their… behavior.
5. (science) They carry out lots of …experiments and produce widely used medicines. Choose the word that should go in each space in the sentences below
1. She said she liked all the stories… the last one.
a) beside b)except c)besides d)without
2.I can’t buy it now, I’ve only 50 pounds… .
a) stayed b)remained c)left d)stood
3.The customers … about bad service and bad manners of the stuff.
a)disapproved b)complained c)criticized d)objected
4.You look terrible! Those red gloves don’t your blue dress at all.
a)fit b)match c) suit d)agree with
5.They haven’t … the prices yet but everyone expects it these days.
a)picked up b)lifted c)risen d)raised