1. People didn’t read poetry, because at that time the Kazakh language wasn't written down and there were not any books.
2. The poetry was performed with music. Poet songs their poems while musicians played on traditional instruments, such as Dombra.
3. Many of the poems were about nature and love, others were about fierce battles and heroic warriors.
4. The old poems are important because they give us information about historical events and the way of life the Kazakh people in the past.
5. In the 19th century people wrote down many of the traditional Kazakh poems, so now we have a record of them.
6. Abay Kunanbaev wrote about the seasons, nature, horses and love.
7. Nowadays Kazakh poetry is heard at weddings, funerals and national celebrations.