- The first workable submarine was a rowing boat covered with waterproofed skins, built dy Dutch scientist Cornelius Van Drebbel in 1620.
- In 1776 David Bushnell`s one-man sub USS Turtle attacked British ships in America`s War of Independence.
- Petrol engines and electric batteries were combined to make the first successful subs in the 1890s.
- Powerful, less fumy diesel engines took over from 1908/
- In 1954 the US launched yhe Nautilus. the first nuclear power sub. Now all subs are nuclear- powered.